On Sunday afternoon 16th August 1891 about 50 cyclists affiliated to the Huddersfield and District Amateur Cycling Association ( HDACA ) assembled in St. Georges Square. They were riding to New Mill for a church parade. They set off at 1.30pm and were joined by another 40 cyclists on their way. A large crowd turned out to see them. The Reverend B. J. Holmes M.A. had written an anthem specially for the occasion and his sermon drew a number of lessons from a bicycle’s construction. The vicar was critical of those who said that cycling on the sabbath was a sin. It was not. These riders involved no one else in extra work unlike those who rode in their carriage or hired a waggonette. After the service, the cyclists went home by the nearest route and those who rode back to the Square got there at about 5.30pm. 

Sunday cycling became popular. For example, on Palm Sunday 1894 members of cycling clubs attached to the HDACA met in St. George’s Square for their first ride of the season. It was to Ilkley. Over 50 cyclists were lead by Fred Hudson Beaumont and Charles Moon of the Honley Victoria Cycle Club. Such a large number of cyclists riding together attracted a great deal attention from pedestrians and some of the machines ridden, notably a tandem and a “Giraffe” safety, the first seen in the district, created a stir. 

“The ride was a most enjoyable one, the weather and roads all contributing their quota towards the enjoyment of the cyclists that took part”. 

Richard Hobson, November 2021