There are many different ways of telling the history of St George’s Square and its buildings.
Take a look at our Timeline and if you think we’ve left something out, please do get in touch.
We’ve also been searching in the newspapers, and other sources, to bring you stories in which St George’s Square has played its part and we will be adding to these stories from time to time. Some of these tales may surprise you… Check out our From the Archives section.
In addition we aim to bring you articles from a variety of contributors which will focus on different aspects of the Square’s history.
- Brian Haigh, ‘One of the finest vistas in the provinces’: the making of St George’s Square
- David Wyles, St George’s Square – the power and the glory
- Brian Haigh, The George Hotel – a great past and a glorious future?
- Brian Haigh, Four Prime Ministers…well almost, and St George’s Square
- Richard Hobson, Pioneer cyclists in the Square